The Office of Student Success

The Office of Student Success is about helping students improve grades and providing students with academic advice. I found the Office of Student Success interesting because I want to know about how they operate, what they provide for students to be successful, and how they help students. Persons who are having a hard time academically in college should seek advising from Student Success.

When I think of Student Success, I think of academic advisement and helping students with poor grades and their personal lives. I wanted to go to the main office myself to find out if my assumptions were true and learn more about what they provide for students. I visited the Student Success at Georgia Gwinnett College's (GGC) website for research. There are advises at the top such as finding a tutor if you don't know where to start on your paper (Georgia Gwinnett College).

As I was walking to look for the main office, which was located in Building W in room 1202, I walked in through the southeast entrance. The entrance had four set of doors to go through, the two doors were normal and the other two were handicap. I walked past the Academic Enhancement Center (AEC) through a hallway of offices with some of them were vacant, past the Student Engagement office, past the two ThyssenKrupp ISIS elevators, down towards the ramp and found the office. The front of the office had glass windows and a glass door for entrance. There were banners of the Student Success and a stand for brochures and cards. The brochures and cards were advertisements related to the Student Success. I pick up every brochure and card on the stand. The two brochures were about the Student Success and the AEC. The two other cards, one was about HACER and other was about the librarian at GGC. As I walk into the office, I see five chairs that are for waiting. The receptionist and student desks are also in the office with a sign in and out sheet. There were six rooms in the office. The two rooms were offices for people to work in. One was the supply room, one was vacant, one was for the conference, and one more for the dean's office.


Image By Author
          
I scheduled an appointment for an interview and observation with the dean. The dean's name was Dr. Justin E. Jernigan. While I was waiting for my appointment, I did some little bit of interview with the reception and a person sitting in his office working. The receptionist's name was Julie Geiger, she worked as an Administrator Assistant at GGC. The other person in one room of the office was Marvin DeWitt, he worked with learning support, first-year students, and taught one-thousand courses. While I was observing his office, I saw some degrees that he earned. I asked him what are your degrees. He said he had Bachelors degree in Business and Masters in Education.

After that my appointment came and I greeted with Jernigan with an handshake and eye contact just like a job interview. I walked into his office and saw a piano, a round table, his certificates, and his desk with level adjustable for standing. Me and Jernigan sat down at the round table and started the interview. Here's what I learned from the interview, the Student Success has a couple meanings about it. One is a collection of programs such as the AEC and the Advising Center (AC). And they are all about helping students to get what they need. Students that have a major and don't know exactly what they needed can get informed from the Student Success. They work with various programs such as the AEC, which students can make an appointment on to work with various subjects. The AC helps students prepare them in scheduling which classes to take. Students can go there and schedule an appointment with their mentor and they can help them from there. PSI stands for Peer Supplemental Instruction which means experienced college students helping new students. The Student Success goals are helping students what their goals are and what classes do they need to take to achieve their goals. Student Success uses computers and laptops to operate their business. They can communicate through phone, email, and online calls such as Microsoft Teams or Zoom. The AEC helps students who in trouble academically and help them get back on track. Students can run into satisfactory problems if they have a GPA below a two or withdraw from too many classes. The AEC has a coach to coach students in many different ways on improving their studying skills and do well on tests and exams. One of the things he told me that I found to be helpful is he said "Time management is important to success" (Jernigan). I found that quote to be very helpful because if I manage my time working with assignments, I can turn things in on-time.

Jernigan worked at GGC since 2007 after he got a Doctorite degree. At the time the college was still brand new and some building like the C building was partially built. This makes the newest college in the University System of Georgia. The reason why Jernigan works at GGC is their mission and different programs that their planning at the time.

In conclusion, Student Success is a place where students can visit whatever they need to achieve their success. If students need help with math or writing, they have the AEC. If a student needs academic advice, they have the AC to give them the advice they need.

Comments

Popular Posts